Published by Harmony Books, a division of Crown Publishers, Inc.
Editor's Note: Fresh and full of flavor, this recipe for Greek Salad is one you need to keep at your fingertips this summer. Loaded with salad greens, red onions, juicy tomatoes, and plenty of other delicious ingredients, this easy salad recipe also features a homemade salad dressing that ties all of those flavors together. Although you can serve this easy summer salad recipe as a side dish (it would complement a steak on the grill, for example), you can certainly serve it as the main course for a light lunch or dinner. Just add some fresh bread or crunchy bread sticks, and your meal will be ready to eat in hardly any time!
Occasional Fresco, Buffet, Buffet Meal, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get Together, Graduation, Picnic
Recipe CourseCold Appetizer, Main Course
Taste and TextureCrunchy
Type of DishSalad
- Dressing Ingredients
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salad Ingredients
- 3 cups mixed salad greens trimmed, rinsed, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into chunks (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/3 cup imported black olives (kalamata preferred)
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
To make the dressing: Blend together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Remove and discard the garlic before tossing the salad.
Toss the salad greens, tomatoes, onion, and bell pepper in a salad bowl. Just before serving, add the olives and cheese. Dress the salad. Serve immediately.
Read NextChinese Chicken Salad
Copyright 1992 Joanne Lamb Hayes and Bonnie Tandy Leblang