Fennel, Avocado, and Rocket Salad with Lemon-Caper Vinaigrette
This salad is light and simple, and perfect for cleansing. Rocket, also known as arugula, has antifungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties; boosts the immune system; and is full of vitamins and minerals. The peppery leaf gets along famously with buttery avocado and licorice-like fennel. The vinaigrette stores nicely in airtight glass for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe CourseAppetizer, Side Dish
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Gluten-free, Halal, Kosher, Lactose-free, Peanut Free, Raw, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Type of DishFirst Course Salad, Salad
- 2 tablespoons (17 g) capers
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) lemon juice
- 2 small cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (4 g) fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) raw tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
- 1 large fennel bulb, ends trimmed, and shaved very thin with a mandoline or sharp knife
- 3 cups (60 g) rocket (arugula)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into small cubes
- Mandoline or sharp knife
- Large Mixing Bowl
To make the dressing, in a Vitamix or other high-speed blender, combine all the dressing ingredients and blend on high for 30 seconds. Set aside.
To make the salad, in a large mixing bowl, toss fennel, rocket, avocado, and dressing. Serve immediately.
2013 Fair Winds Press