King Ranch Chicken Soup
This cheesy and classic soup is sure to be a hit!
Published by St. Martin's Griffin
Editor's Note: King Ranch soup is a flavorful way to serve soup with any meal. This easy chicken soup recipe is a quick creation and can be served as a side or a main course. Combining the tangy flavor of ranch, cheesy Velveeta, and veggies, this recipe is delicious, decadent, and ideal for fall days. With a creamy texture and crunchy veggies, this soup offers a new texture with each and every bite. This dish looks lovely garnished with a lime wedge and cilantro. Consider serving it with tortilla chips, as well.
This soup is even creamier than you'd expect at first glance from the combination of cream cheese, Velveeta cheese, and half-and-half. There's a whole slew of textures in each bite, too, from the crunchy celery and carrots to the soft diced chicken.
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time30 min
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can RoTel diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups Velveeta cheese, cut into small cubes
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables are translucent.
In a medium bowl, toss together the chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper and add to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Add the beans, tomatoes with chiles, tomato sauce, and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cream cheese and Velveeta. Return to a simmer and stir until the cheese has melted and the soup is smooth. Remove from the heat once again and stir in the half-and-half. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
Ladle into bowls, garnish with cilantro and lime wedges, and serve.
Read NextChinese Rice Soup (Congee)
Copyright Prime Publishing