Broccoli, Leek, and Apple Soup
Tart Granny Smith apples add a nice bite to this smooth, luxurious soup.
Makes4 to 6 servings
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe CourseAppetizer, Main Course
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Gluten-free, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegetarian
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Type of DishSoup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks (white and green parts), rinsed, trimmed, and diced
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1 bunch broccoli, trimmed and cut into small dice (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh chives, for garnish
Melt the butter in a large soup pot over low heat. Add the onion and leeks, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Peel and core 1 of the apples and cut into small dice. Add to the pan and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
Add the broccoli and broth. Increase the heat to medium and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes, celery seeds, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to let cool.
Transfer the soup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. This will have to be done in batches. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary. (The soup can be made ahead of time and will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for a day.)
Reheat the soup. Cut the remaining apple into small pieces or thin strips. Spoon the soup into soup bowls and garnish each serving with the apples and chives and serve at once.
4. Reheat the soup. Cut the remaining apple into small pieces or thin strips. Spoon the soup into soup bowls and garnish each serving with the apples and chives and serve at once.
2011 Barbara Scott-Goodman