Autumn Vegetable Minestrone
This delicious vegan vegetable soup is perfect for fall!
Published by Page Street Publishing Co.
Minestrone is always a crowd-pleaser. It’s also a great way to empty out your fridge of any excess vegetables you may have lurking about. I really like getting my kids involved when I make minestrone. I let them dig through the fridge and pick out which veggies they want to add and then which type of pasta. I’ve had to make minestrone before with three different types of pasta thanks to my toddler.
Cooking Time40 min
Dietary RestrictionsVegan, Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, roughly diced
- 14 ounces (400 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 ounces (115 g) deseeded and peeled pumpkin, diced
- 2 cups (480 ml) tomato puree
- 4 cups (960 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup (170 g) cannellini beans, soaked and cooked or rinsed and drained from a can
- 1 cup (116 g) uncooked whole grain small pasta (mini farfalle, elbows, pipettes, etc.)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil
Heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the onions and cook for 5 minutes until they are translucent. Add the minced garlic, basil, oregano, carrots, celery, sweet potatoes and pumpkin. Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes, stirring often, then add the tomato purée, vegetable broth and bay leaf.
Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the beans and pasta. Cook until the pasta and all the vegetables are tender. This will vary depending on the type and size of the pasta.
Remove the bay leaf and season the minestrone with salt and pepper to taste before serving it with some fresh basil.
PER 1 CUP (240 ML) SERVING WITHOUT GARNISHES: CALORIES 303 FAT 3.3 G CARBOHYDRATES 55.9 G FIBER 14.2 G PROTEIN 14.4 G
Reprinted with permission from Awesome Vegan Soups by Vanessa Croessmann, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017.