This customized pizza is healthy and tasty, plus it can become a family project, with all family members designing their own portions of the pizza. In Maxine’s family, the kids roll out the pizza dough while the adults prepare the toppings. They choose the tomato sauce together, then each person decides what to put on his or her portion of the pizza.
Use prepared tomato sauce in this recipe or make your own.
Makes4 to 6 servings
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, low cholesterol, low saturated fat, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecrunchy, herby
Type of Dishpizza
- 1 lb (500 g) prepared pizza dough
- 3 cups (750 ml) tomato sauce (see Notes)
- 1 jar (6 oz/175 g) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 cup (250 ml) black olives, pitted and halved
- 3 roasted red bell peppers, skin removed and sliced into ½-inch (1 cm) strips
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil, divided
- 2 medium sweet onions (such as Vidalia), cut into 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) slices (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 17-by 11-inch (42.5 by 27.5 cm) rimmed baking sheet or 16-inch (40 cm) round pizza pan, greased
Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
Caramelized Onions: In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add sliced onions and drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring every 10 minutes to prevent burning and sticking, for 25 to 30 minutes or until onions are soft and brown.
Meanwhile, on prepared baking sheet, spread dough using your fingertips to gently press the dough out so it covers the entire sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until dough starts to harden but not brown. Let cool in pan on a rack for about 10 minutes.
Spread tomato sauce over crust and scatter caramelized onions, artichokes, olives and roasted peppers over top. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is browned around the edges.
Fresh herbs add excitement to your pizza. Try sprinkling the onions with 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh basil, oregano, parsley, and/or garlic chives.
2005 Maxine Effenson Chuck and Beth Gurney