Whole-Meal Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Besides its unmistakable flavor, dark chocolate is packed with antioxidants called flavonols, which benefit heart health and cholesterol levels.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe Coursedessert, snack
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Mealbreakfast, brunch, snack, tea
Taste and Texturechocolatey, sweet
Type of Dishbread, muffins, quickbreads
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 250 mL
- 1 cup whole wheat flour 250 mL
- 2 tsp baking powder 10 mL
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice 10 mL
- ½ tsp salt 2 mL
- ¼ tsp baking soda 1 mL
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar 150 mL
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil 125 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling) 175 mL
- 1/3 cup buttermilk 75 mL
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips 250 mL
- 12-cup muffin pan, greased
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda.
In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until well blended. Whisk in pumpkin and buttermilk until blended.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in chocolate.
Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups.
Bake in preheated oven for 17 to 21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.
Read NextBlueberry Swirl Muffins
750 Best Muffin Recipes