Banana, Walnut and Chocolate Chunk Muffins
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Mealbreakfast, brunch, snack
Taste and Texturechocolatey, nutty, sweet
Type of Dishbread, muffins, quickbreads
- ½ cup all purpose flour 125 mL
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar 125 mL
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted 45 mL
- ½ tsp vanilla extract 2 mL
- 2 cups all purpose flour 500 mL
- 2 tsp baking powder 10 mL
- ½ tsp baking soda 2 mL
- ½ tsp salt 2 mL
- ¾ cup granulated sugar 175 mL
- 1 egg
- 1 1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas 325 mL
- ½ cup vegetable oil 125 mL
- 1 cup plain yogurt 250 mL
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted 250 mL
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks 250 mL
- Two 12-cup muffin pans, 18 cups lined with paper liners
These banana muffins are full of dark chocolate chunks and toasted walnuts. So you get a taste of nuts and chocolate in each bite. The combination of ripe, mashed bananas and yogurt in the batter renders extremely moist and tender results.
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
Topping: In a small bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, butter and vanilla until blended and crumbly. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Muffins: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, bananas and oil until well blended, Whisk in yogurt until blended.
Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in walnuts and chocolate.
Divide batter equally among prepared muffin 1/2 cups. Sprinkle with topping.
Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack to cool.
Read NextCinnamon Streusel Muffins
750 Best Muffin Recipes