Better Not Squash Mac & Cheese
What if mac & cheese was all vegan and spicy, too, for even more heat? I know mac & cheese is a classic, but it is still a lot of fun to play with the concept. This works for me on so many levels.
- 1/4 cup (35 g) raw cashews
- 1 3/4 cup (315 g) cooked butternut squash, or ¾ (15-oz [425-g]) can
- 2 tablespoons (28 ml) olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup (414 ml) almond milk
- 1/4 cup (32 g) nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (4 g) sweet curry powder
- 1 to 2 tsp (3 to 6 g) grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) Mustard (page 175) or Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons (5 g) onion powder
- 2 teaspoons (6 g) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound (455 g) pasta
- Optional Garnish
- Fresh thyme
- Hemp seeds
Put all the ingredients, except the salt, black pepper and pasta, in a food processor and mix until smooth. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Add the butternut squash sauce to the same pot after draining out the pasta water. Cook, stirring, over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the macaroni is uniformly dressed with the sauce and the sauce is hot.
Reprinted with permission from Easy Vegan Breakfasts & Lunches by Maya Sozer, Page Street Publishing Co. 2016. Photo credit: Maya Sozer