Green Rice (Arroz Verde)
Published by Vegan Heritage Press, LLC
Arroz verde is a refreshing, herbaceous alternative to Mexican red rice. It’s ideal on a hot day as a great side for lighter dishes. If you want to kick up the heat level, add a couple fresh serrano chiles. Serve with sliced avocado and lime wedges and a bowl of seasoned black beans for the perfect lunch.
Total TimeUnder 30 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
- 2 poblano chiles, roasted
- 1 small white onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 bunches cilantro, stems included (3 cups, roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh epazote, optional
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups medium-grain brown rice
In a blender or food processor, purée the poblanos, onion, cilantro, epazote (if using), garlic, 1 1/2 cups of the broth, and salt. Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups broth and blend well. Set the sauce aside.
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the rice and toast it for 5 to 7 minutes, slowly stirring. Add the sauce and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
Copyright 2016 by Jason Wyrick