Crunchy Taco Salad
This big meal salad is loaded with beans, chilies, tomatoes, cheese, and tortilla chips and tossed with a creamy, spicy guacamole dressing. With all these flavors and textures, this salad is sure to satisfy your taste buds. In the Southwest, Mexican food is the most popular cuisine. A bag of tortilla chips and a jar of salsa are basic staples found in everyone’s refrigerators and cupboards.
OccasionFamily Get-together, Game Day
Recipe CourseMain Course
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Gluten-free, Halal, Kosher, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegetarian
Taste and TextureCheesy, Crisp, Crunchy, Spiced, Tangy, Tart
Type of DishMain Course Salad, Salad
- 1 small head green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 4 cups), or lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 can (15 ounces or 450 g) kidney, pinto, or black beans, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces or 250 g) whole corn kernels
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½-1 cup (125-250 g) Spicy Guacamole Dressing (see below)
- ½ cup (60 g) feta cheese, crumbled, or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups (125 g) corn tortilla chips, crumbled
- ½ cup (250 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- ¼ medium onion, peeled
- 1 medium avocado, peeled, stone removed, and quartered
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 fresh serrano green chili pepper
- 1 generous handful fresh cilantro leaves (about ¼ cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Mix, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, beans, corn and chili powder in a salad bowl. Toss salad with guacamole dressing; let salad sit 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and tortilla chips and serve. Pass extra dressing.
For the dressing: In an electric blender or food processor, blend water, lemon juice, onion, avocado, garlic, chili, cilantro leaves, oil, and salt until smooth and creamy. Add more water if too thick.
Stand straight, breathe normally, and watch the breath as you toss the salad.
Read NextTacos de Yaca Al Pastor
2008 Sharon Louise Crayton
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
AbsolutGoddess 896 1988
Sep 08, 2010
This salad was epic. I loved it. It's so hearty and filling. The cabbage has such great crunch, and I was surprised at how much I really enjoyed the cabbage. The dressing is creamy and delicious. It's amazing.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.