This pudding must also be boiled for the specific time; start timing once it begins boiling, not before.
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Dietary ConsiderationHealthy, Low Calorie, Low-fat, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free
Taste and TextureChocolatey, Sweet
Type of DishPudding
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2½ cups 1% lowfat milk, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1) Put the egg yolk in a medium heatproof bowl and lightly beat it.
2) In another bowl, combine the cocoa, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Pour in ½ cup of the milk and whisk until a smooth paste forms.
3) Bring the remaining milk to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat (boiling milk scorches quickly) and whisk the cocoa paste into the hot milk. Put it back on the burner, bring it to a boil, and cook for exactly 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat.
4) Gradually pour about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the egg yolk, whisk it smooth, and pour it back into the pot. Bring the pudding back to a simmer and cook over medium-low heat for 2 minutes. Do not boil. Stir in the vanilla. Pour into serving dishes and chill. Cover the bowls of pudding with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
Read NextCabbage and Carrot Slaw
1997 Terry Blonder Golson