A spicy chicken curry made with chiles and mustard seeds. Good with basmati rice.
Preparation Time20 min
Cooking Time25 min
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe CourseMain Course
Taste and TextureHot & Spicy, Savory
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1in (2.5cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 fresh hot green chiles, seeded and finely minced
- 1½ lb (675g) boneless and skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1in (2.5cm) pieces
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garam masala, cumin, mustard seeds, and turmeric, and stir for 1 minute, until fragrant.
Add the onion, ginger, and garlic, and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes, until the onion starts to soften. Add the red and green peppers and the chiles and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Increase the heat to medium-high. Add the chicken, and cook until it begins to brown. Add the tomatoes and cilantro, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, stirring frequently. Serve hot.
Nutritional Benefits: Low fat.
Prepare ahead: The curry can be refrigerated for up to one day. Reheat, adding a little more stock, if needed.
Freezing Information: Freeze for up to 3 months.
2008 Dorling Kindersley