Cabbage and Carrot Slaw
With very few ingredients, this shredded carrot and cabbage salad has a tangy, crispy, and crunchy taste you'll love.
The 250 Best 4-Ingredient Recipes
Published by Robert Rose
Editor's Note: If you're on the hunt for a yummy salad or slaw recipe to serve at your next picnic or potluck, you're in luck. This tasty shredded carrot and cabbage salad is tossed with olive oil and vinegar, giving it a unique taste that keeps well. A much healthier alternative to slaws that use mayonnaise, this crunchy dish is sure to become a household favorite. You'll love the tangy and crisp flavor palette it provides. Plus, this recipe could easily be updated to include other veggies like lettuce or other cabbage varietals.
This traditional coleslaw is an especially great salad to make for a potluck — it travels well because it does not contain any mayonnaise.
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Game Day
Recipe CourseSide Dish, Vegetable
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Gluten-free, Halal, Healthy, Kosher, Lactose-free, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
MealBrunch, Dinner, Lunch
Taste and TextureCrisp, Crunchy, Light, Savory, Tangy
Type of DishSalad, Vegetable
- 2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup (250 mL) small carrot strips
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a salad bowl, combine cabbage and carrots.
Add vinegar and oil and toss to combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
More Coleslaw Recipes from Cookstr.com
Traditional coleslaw recipes tend to have two main ingredients: sliced raw cabbage and mayonnaise. They're often combined with other veggies, oils, and vinaigrettes. Look out below for some yummy coleslaw ideas including traditional recipes and some unique takes on the old favorite.
- Southwest Cabbage Slaw: Enjoy a unique and spicy combination of sour cream, pickled chile peppers, salsa, cilantro, and cumin.
- Classic Cole Slaw Recipe: A tried and true traditional coleslaw recipe.
- Citrus Slaw: Originally created to add to fish tacos (we highly reccomend it), this slaw makes a great side for all kinds of meals.
- Sea Bass Ceviche with Jicama and Avocado Slaw: Avocado and jicama combine to make a truly original (and super tasty) slaw that's perfect for sea food dishes.
- Asian Broccoli Almond Slaw: Surprise your friends with this Asian take on an American classic.
- Winter Radicchio Slaw: Here’s a slaw made for winter, with Italian radicchio, fresh fennel endive, and tart sweet apple, all tossed with a light, ginger-enhanced vinaigrette.
Read NextBroccoli and Beef in Oyster Sauce
2002 Margaret Howard