Fragrant Lamb Curry with Barley
Published by Robert Rose
Make this delicious curry any time you have a craving for something lusciously different. It’s a great Sunday night dinner and is perfect for a potluck or on a buffet.
NotesIt pays to know your barley. Although most varieties of whole-grain barley cook in about 1 hour, which is fine for this recipe, I have encountered some that take up to 1 hour and 45 minutes to cook. If the variety you are using is longer-cooking, before starting the recipe, bring the chicken stock to a boil in a saucepan, add barley and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add it to the recipe in Step 2 when the chicken stock is called for.
Cooking Methodbaking, sauteeing
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, high fiber, low sodium, peanut free, soy free
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecreamy, juicy, meaty, rich, savory, spiced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 lb (500 g) trimmed stewing lamb
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger root
- 1 to 2 long red or green chile peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sweet paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) cracked black peppercorns 2 mL
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- 2 black cardamom pods, crushed
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon, about 3 inches (7.5 cm) long
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole (hulled) barley, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium chicken stock or water
- 1½ cups (375 mL) plain yogurt (minimum 4% M.F.)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) finely chopped cilantro
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C)
In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add lamb, in batches, and cook, stirring, until browned, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add remaining 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil to pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, chile peppers, paprika, turmeric, salt, peppercorns, cayenne, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add barley and toss until coated with mixture. Stir in stock and bring to a boil.
Return lamb and any accumulated juices to pan and stir well. Transfer to 13-by 9-inch (3 L) baking dish and stir in yogurt. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven until barley and lamb are tender, about 1 hour. Garnish with cilantro.
Spicy Beef Curry with Barley: Substitute an equal quantity of stewing beef for the lamb.
Read NextLemon-Garlic Marinated Lamb Chops
2008 Judith Finlayson