Easy and filling, this is the perfect recipe when everyone’s hungry and you don’t have a lot of time to cook an elaborate meal. Add capers and accompany with a bowl of vegan Parmesan cheese alternative to serve company.
NotesUse canned tomatoes with or without seasoning, as you prefer.
Many varieties of black olives work well in this sauce. Try oil-cured, Moroccan or kalamata olives for best results.
Serves4 to 6 Servings
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe CourseMain Course
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Kosher, Lactose-free, Low Cholesterol, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Taste and TextureGarlicky, Herby, Savory, Spiced
Type of DishPasta
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp/15 ml)
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes, with juices (see Notes)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) tomato paste
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) dry red wine
- 1 cup (250 ml) pitted oil-cured black olives, halved (see Notes)
- ¼ cup (50 ml) chopped drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried basil leaves
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dried oregano leaves
- ½ tsp (2 ml) hot pepper flakes, or to taste
- ½ to 1 tsp (2 to 5 ml) granulated natural cane sugar
- 8 oz (250 g) penne or other short pasta
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is softened. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste and red wine and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and stir in olives, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, oregano and hot pepper flakes. Taste and add sugar, a little at a time, as necessary, to smooth any bitterness. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 minutes or until tender to the bite, or according to package instructions. Drain. Serve sauce over hot pasta.
For a heartier meal, slice 2 Italian-style soy sausages and add along with the wine.
Add 2 tbsp (25 ml) drained capers along with the sun-dried tomatoes.
2005 Maxine Effenson Chuck and Beth Gurney