Greek Pita Pocket
Discover what tastes good with a pita pocket when you make this classic Greek recipe.
Published by Robert Rose
Editor's Note: When you think of a meal you can get on the table within about 30 minutes, you likely think of fast-food or your favorite pizza place that does delivery. But this recipe for Greek Pita Pocket is both easy to make and can be ready to serve within about 30 minutes. After a long day of work, school, and running errands, you'll love having this quick and easy recipe in your repertoire. You'll love the combination of yogurt with vegetables and ground beef in this recipe. Master this recipe for a speedy and delicious pita pocket and you'll be serving it for years to come.
This Greek-style sandwich is a delicious combination and is so easy to make. We love making these on busy weeknights.
Total TimeUnder 30 minutes
Occasional Fresco, Casual Dinner Party
Recipe CourseMain Course
Taste and TextureMeaty, Savory
Type of DishSandwich
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt 250 mL
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon + 2 tsp juice 40 mL
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill (see Notes) 15 mL
- ½ tsp lemon pepper, divided 2 mL
- 12 oz lean ground beef 375 g
- ½ cup diced onion 125 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes 250 mL
- 1 tsp Greek seasoning (see Notes) 5 mL
- 4 6- to 8-inch (15 to 20 cm) pitas with pockets
- 1½ cups chopped romaine lettuce 375 mL
- 4 tsp reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese 20 mL
More Ground Beef Lunch & Dinner Recipes
Keep your family happy and full with this excellent list of lunch and dinner ideas using ground beef. This collection includes:
- Classic Ground Beef Recipes like Tacos and Meatloaf
- Kid-Friendly Dinners
- Unique Recipes like this Beef Cobbler
& So Much More!
Check it out: 21+ Best Ground Beef Recipes for Lunch and Dinner
In a small bowl, combine yogurt, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the lemon juice, dill and ¼ tsp (1 mL) of the lemon pepper. Set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, sauté beef, onion and garlic, breaking up meat with a spoon until beef crumbles, for 5 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, Greek seasoning, remaining 2 tsp (10 mL) of lemon juice and remaining ¼ tsp (1 mL) of lemon pepper. Cook for 5 minutes or until heated through.
Place pitas on a work surface. Spread yogurt sauce equally in each pita. Place lettuce, beef mixture and feta cheese equally in each pita.
Tip: Fresh dill can be kept for only about 2 days. It’s wonderful in chicken salad, with seafood and as a garnish to many dishes.
To make your own Greek seasoning: In a small bowl, combine ¼ tsp (1 mL) each dried oregano, dried parsley, dried garlic powder and salt.
More Greek Food Recipes
Featuring fresh ingredients, fabulous feta, and so much more, this list of classic Greek recipes will impress your friends and their tastebuds.
1. Greek Village Salad
2. Greek Chicken Casserole
3. Grilled Swordfish with Greek Salad Salsa
4. Lemony Leg of Lamb, Greek Style
5. Greek Veggie Panini
6. Midtown Greek Salad
7. Greek Lemon-Mint Beans and Vegetables
8. Greek Chicken Panzanella with Honey-Lemon Vinaigrette
2011 Alison Lewis