Greek Lemon-Mint Beans and Vegetables
This dish is simple, hearty comfort food with lots of great flavor. Please improvise-add rosemary instead of dill, or green beans instead of zucchini, for example. However, we promise that if you just make the recipe as is, you will enjoy an easily prepared, completely satisfying supper.
Serves6 to 8; 8 cups
Cooking Time45 min
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe CourseMain Course, Side Dish
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Gluten-free, Kosher, Lactose-free, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Taste and TextureHerby
Type of DishSalad
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups seeded and diced red or green bell peppers
- 2 cups diced zucchini
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- one 15-ounce can artichoke hearts in brine, drained and chopped
- one 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained (1 1/2 cups)
- one 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, or 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Ground black pepper
In a large covered skillet or soup pot on medium low heat, cook the onions, garlic, and salt in the oil until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the carrots and bell peppers and continue to cook for about 3 minutes, or until the carrots begin to soften.
Add the zucchini and red pepper flakes and dried mint, if using, and cook for about 3 minutes.
Stir in the artichoke hearts, beans, and tomatoes, cover, and simmer until all the vegetables are tender but still brightly colored, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the fresh mint, if using, and the dill and lemon juice.
Season with salt and black pepper to taste. You may want more mint and dill.
Serving and Menu Ideas
Serve on a bed of orzo, couscous, or rice, topped with feta cheese or chevre. You don’t really need anything else, except maybe a salad.
2013 Moosewood, Inc.