Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationsoy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturecrisp, salty, savory
- 8 (7- to 9-ounce) river catfish, gutted, head removed, and skinned
- 9 ounces cornmeal (about 1½ cups)
- 4½ ounces all purpose flour (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Peanut oil for frying
Fill a 10- to 12-quart cast-iron Dutch oven half full with peanut oil. Set over medium heat and bring the oil to 350 degrees.
Thoroughly rinse the catfish, pat dry, and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to fry.
In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. In a second bowl, combine the milk and buttermilk.
Dip the catfish one at a time into the milk mixture and then dredge in the cornmeal mixture. Gently lower the catfish into the oil and fry until the fish floats to the top of the oil and is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Read NextCrispy Oven-Fried Cod
2008 Be Square Productions