Welsh Rarebit from Cock n' Bull
This menu item was a staple for the time and era. It was popular in the pub with a pint of ale.
Total TimeUnder One Hour
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup American beer (such as Budweiser or Sam Adams)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 2 tsp steak sauce (such as A1)
- 6 English muffins
In the top of a double boiler with simmering water underneath, heat the milk, add the cheese, and stir until melted.
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter; add the flour, mustard, cayenne, and salt. Stir until it forms a thick paste.
Gradually add the milk/cheese mixture and cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the beer, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, and hot pepper sauce. Keep warm until serving time.
Split the muffins and toast. Pour the sauce over the muffins and serve.