Grilled Eggplant Salad with Crabmeat (Ca Tim Nuong)
Published by Tuttle Publishing
Editor's Note: This summer, consider putting a new twist on your everyday salad options. This recipe for Grilled Eggplant Salad with Crabmeat (Ca Tim Nuong) takes just a little bit of preparation and is so easy to make. You could easily serve this salad for a hearty lunch or dinner option at your next get-together with friends.
This recipe is common to Cambodia and southern Vietnam and makes delicious use of eggplant, one of the many vegetables grown in central Vietnam. Shrimp or stir-fried ground pork may be used in place of the crabmeat.
Serves4 to 6
Preparation Time25 min
Cooking Time10 min
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Occasional Fresco, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get Together
Recipe CourseMain Course
Type of DishSalad
- Salad Ingredients
- 1 lb (500 g) slender Asian eggplants (about 2 large or 5 small eggplants)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1½ cups (6 oz/175 g) cooked crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons Crispy Fried Shallots, to garnish
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced spring onion, to garnish
- Sprigs of coriander leaves (cilantro), to garnish
- Dressing Ingredients
- 1 finger-length red chili, deseeded and minced
- 1½ tablespoons crushed roasted unsalted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1½ teaspoons sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons water
Combine the Dressing ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
Halve each eggplant lengthwise and brush with a little oil. Grill, a few at a time, on a pan grill or under a preheated broiler using medium heat, turning regularly, until the skin turns brown and the flesh is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Peel off the skin and discard.
Spread the crabmeat along the top of the eggplant halves and pour the Dressing over. Serve immediately, garnished with Crispy Fried Shallots, spring onion and coriander leaves (cilantro).
Copyright 2017 Trieu Thi Choi and Marcel Isaak