Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Equipmentfood processor, mortar and pestle
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Textureherby, meaty, savory
- 1 leg of lamb (about 4 ¼ pounds), preferably organic
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A large bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup chicken stock, preferably organic
- 14 ounces new potatoes, sliced thickly
- 4 ounces baby fennel, trimmed and cut in half lengthways
- 8 ounces baby carrots, tops trimmed
- 4 ounces baby leeks, trimmed
- 8 ounces zucchinis, sliced lengthways
- 9 ounces fine (green) or yellow beans, trimmed
- 5 ounces asparagus, trimmed to 2-inch lengths
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Score the lamb all over and season. Using a pestle and mortar, or in a food processor, pound or blend the mint leaves with the garlic and seasoning until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil to your mixture then brush all over the lamb. Roast in the oven for 1½ hours, brushing with the seasoned oil regularly until the lamb is cooked.
While the meat is resting, remove the fat from the roasting pan. Add the stock to the pan and make a light, tasty broth by boiling and dissolving all the goodness at the bottom.
Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling, salted water for 5 minutes. Add the fennel and carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes. Then add the rest of the vegetables and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Carve your lamb, then serve the vegetables in a shallow bowl with the lamb on top and a little broth and mint oil drizzled over.
2016 Jamie Oliver