When using margarine, choose a non-hydrogenated version to limit consumption of trans fats.
Makes24 bars (1 bar per serving)
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe Coursedessert, snack
Dietary Considerationdiabetic, egg-free, halal, high fiber, kosher, low cholesterol, peanut free, soy free, vegan, vegetarian
Mealbrunch, snack, tea
Taste and Texturechocolatey, nutty, sweet
- 2 cups (500 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- ½ cup (125 mL) lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) melted butter or margarine
- ¼ cup (50 mL) liquid honey or corn syrup
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) vanilla
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, peanuts, etc.) or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 13- by 9-inch (3 L) baking pan, lined with parchment paper
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, butter, honey, vanilla and salt; mix thoroughly. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts until evenly mixed.
Pour mixture into prepared pan. Press down with clean, damp hands to compact evenly.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until brown and crisp. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan by lifting parchment and transfer to a cutting board. Remove parchment and cut into bars.
Variation: You can substitute any kind of chip for the chocolate chips — white chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, etc.
2008 Barbara Selley, BA RD