Fresh Fruit Crisp
Editor's Note: Here's an easy dessert recipe that can be baked year-round! This Fresh Fruit Crisp incorporates in-season fruits (but frozen can be used, too), resulting in a crisp that you will want to serve at your next book club meeting or even after a big family meal. The crisp can be mixed and ready for baking within minutes, making this recipe the perfect choice the next time you need to make dessert in a hurry. The recipe's author has included a few twists on this recipe; just check out the Variations section following the recipe's instructions for additional ideas. This fruit crisp recipe is one you'll want up your sleeve!
This dessert is crusty on top and juicy underneath; with a little yogurt on the side, it is perfect. In the winter months it can be made with canned fruit, such as apricots, pears, peaches, or cherries. The classic fresh fruit is apples in fall and apricots in summer. But try all the fruits and find your family favorites.
One Pot MealYes
OccasionBuffet, Buffet Meal, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get Together
Taste and TextureButtery, Crisp, Fruity, Spiced, Sweet, Tart
Type of DishDessert, Fruit
- 1 cup (125 g) quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup (150 g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (175 g) light brown sugar or raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces butter, cut into ½-inch (1.2-cm) cubes
- 6-8 green apples (2 pounds or 1 kg), with skins and coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup (250 g) frozen raspberries (optional)
- ½ cup (125 ml) water or apple juice
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Combine oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
Mix in butter by rubbing between your fingertips to form a coarse meal.
Arrange fruit in an 8 x 8 x 2-inch (20 x 20 x 5-cm) square baking dish.
Pour in water and spread fruit with crumb mix, patting it down.
Bake 1 hour or until top is brown and bubbly.
* Apricots: You don’t need as much apricot as you would other fruit. Use 10 apricots, sliced in fourths, and add ¼ cup (125 g) grated coconut to the topping.
* Almonds or other nuts: Add to the topping mixture.
* Pears: Use with freshly grated ginger and walnuts.
Stand straight, breath normally; watch your breath for 30 seconds.
Read NextChristmas Magic Squares
2008 Sharon Louise Crayton