Berry Cheesecake Bars
These bars offer the decadent taste of cheesecake without all the calories.
Makes20 bars (1 bar per serving)
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Recipe CourseDessert, Snack
Dietary ConsiderationDiabetic, Halal, Kosher, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Vegetarian
Taste and TextureChewy, Creamy, Fruity, Nutty, Sweet, Tangy, Tart
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) ground almonds
- ¼ cup (50 mL) melted butter
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cold water
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 package (8 oz/250 g) light cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) plain low-fat yogurt
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) almond extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated orange zest
- 1½ cups (375 mL) fresh or frozen berries (see Notes)
- 13- by 9-inch (3 L) baking pan, lined with greased foil
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
Crumb mixture: In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, almonds, butter and water.
Filling: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat eggs, egg white, cream cheese, sugar, yogurt, almond extract and orange zest until fluffy.
Press half of the crumb mixture into prepared pan. Pour in filling and spread evenly. Sprinkle with berries. Drop remaining crumb mixture by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) over berries. Using a knife, swirl filling, berries and crumb mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan by lifting foil and transfer to a cutting board. Remove foil and cut into bars.
If you prefer, replace the almond extract with vanilla and the orange zest with lemon.
We tested these bars with raspberries, blueberries and mixed berries. All versions tasted great.
When lining the baking pan, make sure the foil extends 1 inch (2.5 cm) beyond the edge for easy removal.
2008 Barbara Selley, BA RD