Carrot Zucchini Cupcakes
I can’t emphasize enough the delight I receive making desserts with certain vegetables. They always turn out moist, tender and delicious.
NotesIt is best to use a spoon or spatula to stir the carrot and zucchini together with the flour mixture rather than a whisk because the vegetables tend to get gummed up in the whisk.Be sure to use nice crisp vegetables for this recipe, as they will shred well.
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Recipe CourseDessert, Snack
Dietary ConsiderationHalal, Kosher, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegetarian
MealKid Snack, Snack
Taste and TextureButtery, Creamy, Spiced, Sweet
Type of DishDessert
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (250 mL)
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded carrot (about 1 large carrot)
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded zucchini (about 1 small zucchini)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) milk
- Frosting (see Frosting suggestions, below)
- Muffin pan, lined with paper liners
- Cream Cheese Icing
- Orange Cream Cheese Icing
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter and eggs until smooth. Add shredded carrot and zucchini, beating until mixed. Alternately stir in flour mixture and milk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of milk, beating until smooth (see Notes).
Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.
Variation: Add 1/3 cup (75 mL) loosely packed sweetened flaked coconut to the batter.
2005 Julie Hasson