Published by William Morrow
Total Timea day or more
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Type of Dishchicken soup, hot soup, soup, stock
- 6 pounds chicken bones, coarsely chopped (substitute wings if bones or carcasses are unavailable)
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 1 whole garlic head, halved crosswise
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
Put the chicken in a large stockpot and add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Add all the remaining ingredients. Reduce the heat to low and simmer gently, uncovered, for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Strain the stock into a large bowl, and let in cool completely Skim off and discard the clear yellow fat that rises to the surface. Or refrigerate the stock until the fat solidifies, approximately 4 hours, then scrape it off with a spoon.
The stock can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months.
2004 Alfred Portale