Summer’s Best Gazpacho
There are different philosophies on gazpacho. Debra prefers the slightly chunky version you get using a food processor, while Geralyn likes a thick soup with finer vegetable bits (throw everything in a blender and pulse). Whichever you prefer, ladle this spicy, healthy soup into a thermos for easy toting to your favorite picnic spot. For fancier occasions, we add three or four large cooked shrimp to each serving.
Serves6 to 8
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe CourseAppetizer, Main Course
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Gluten-free, Halal, Kosher, Lactose-free, Peanut Free, Raw, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Type of DishCold Soup, Soup
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeds and ribs removed, cut into medium dice
- 1 cucumber, peeled, trimmed, and cut into medium dice
- 1 medium red onion, cut into medium dice
- 2 celery stalks, split lengthwise and cut into medium dice
- 6 fresh leaves basil, sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 cups good-quality tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
In a medium nonreactive bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Working in batches using a blender or food processor, pulse the mixture once or twice so that it is blended but the vegetables still have texture. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Transfer to a glass bowl or plastic container and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2003 Debra Ponzek and Geralyn Delaney Graham