Jackfruit White Bean Chili
The jackfruit gives this white chili the perfect texture combined with the Great Northern beans. It’s seasoned with mild ancho chili powder, green chilies and ground cumin, but it’s the oregano and lime juice that makes it really special.
NotesMake in a 3-quart or 6-quart (3-L or 6-L) Instant Pot. Double and make in your 8-quart (8-L) Instant Pot.
- Sauté Ingredients
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) water
- 1 cup (150 g) minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) ancho chili powder or your favorite chili powder
- Pressure Cooker Ingredients
- 2 (28-ounce) cans jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups (708 ml) water
- 4 tablespoons (34 g) diced green chilies
- 1 salt-free bouillon cube
- 1 pound (454 g) Great Northern beans, soaked at least 8 hours, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons (4 g) Mexican oregano, substitute regular oregano or marjoram
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) lime juice, or to taste
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Toppings (optional)
- Chopped cilantro
- Cashew cream
- Hot sauce
- Jalapeño powder
- Jalapeño salt
Turn the sauté function on and heat the water. Once hot, add the onions and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder. Sauté until the spices become fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Turn the sauté off. Add in the jackfruit, shredding it with your hands. Then stir in the water, green chilies, bouillon cube and soaked beans. Cook on high manual/pressure for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release manually.
Add the oregano, lime juice and salt, to taste (if using).
Serve with your favorite toppings such as cilantro, cashew cream or hot sauce. Sprinkle the bowls with jalapeño powder or jalapeño salt to add an extra flavor burst.
Read NextAmazing Chili
Reprinted with permission from Gluten-Free Vegan Cooking in Your Instant Pot by Kathy Hester, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Kathy Hester