Grilled Chicken and Roasted Veggie Tacos
This Italian-style taco is lightly flavored with olive oil and lemon juice in the true spirit of Santa Margherita, a little village on the edge of the Italian Riviera. The fresh, seasoned vegetables wrap flavor around the grilled chicken filling.
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together, Game Day
Recipe CourseMain Course
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free
Taste and TextureHerby, Savory, Smoky
- Ovenproof dish
- Vegetable grate or heavy-duty foil
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (see Notes) 750g
- 4 tbsp olive oil 60 mL
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 yellow summer (zucchini) squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 onion, cut into ¼-inch (0.5 cm) rings
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and cut in half
- 3 thick asparagus spears, trimmed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp minced fresh basil 30 mL
- 8 6-inch (15 cm) corn tortillas, skillet-warmed (see Notes)
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese 250 mL
Preheat greased barbecue grill to medium-high
Preheat oven to 200°F (100°C)
Coat chicken with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Grill chicken, turning once, until no longer pink inside, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and let chicken stand for 6 to 8 minutes. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Transfer to ovenproof dish and keep warm in preheated oven.
Coat zucchini, squash, onion, bell pepper and asparagus with remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) of oil. Place vegetables in vegetable grate or on foil on grill. Grill, turning once, until vegetables are tender-crisp, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into bite-size pieces.
In a large bowl, combine chicken and vegetables and toss with lemon juice and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To build tacos, divide chicken mixture equally among tortillas. Top with cheese. Fold tortillas in half.
Skillet-Warmed Corn Tortillas
This method gives you a soft, pliable tortilla that is lightly toasted on one or both sides. Place a dry nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Place tortilla in skillet and heat each side by turning once until warm and pliable, about 1 minute per side. Place in a tortilla warmer or wrap in foil to keep warm until ready to use.
Read NextChicken Piccata
2011 Kelley Cleary Coffeen