Curried Chicken Salad
Published by Harmony Books, a division of Crown Publishers, Inc.
Editor's Note: If you've only had premade chicken salad from a deli, then you are in for a treat with this recipe for Curried Chicken Salad! This recipe is easy to make and is one that every busy home cook should keep in mind, as the salad can be made in advance. Simply store the chicken salad in the refrigerator until it's time to eat. You can serve this flavorful take on the traditional chicken salad recipe on your favorite sandwich roll, or serve it on a bed of mixed greens for a unique approach. This chicken salad is the perfect dinner idea for dining al fresco on a hot evening this summer!
Serves4 to 6
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Occasional Fresco, Card Night, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get Together, Picnic
Recipe CourseMain Course
Taste and TextureMeaty, Nutty
Type of DishSalad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cut into cubes
- 1 medium-size Granny Smith apple, cored and cubed
- 1 rib celery, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 pound seedless grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder or to taste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
Combine the chicken, apple, celery, grapes, walnuts, raisins, mayonnaise, yogurt, lime juice, curry powder, and soy sauce in a large bowl. Toss well. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
* Substitute almonds, pecans, or macadamia nuts for the walnuts.
* Substitute lemon juice for the lime juice.
* Use sour cream for the yogurt.
* Add cubed water chestnuts
* Add mango chutney.
Copyright 1992 Joanne Lamb Hayes and Bonnie Tandy Leblang