Jamaican Jerk Kabobs
Caribbean food isn't really about heat alone--it's about creating a distinct and heavily spiced flavor array. Nothing exemplifies that more than Jamaican Jerk Sauce. These skewers are perfect for a summer barbeque, especially if you want to bring the vegan heat.
Cooking MethodBroiling, Grilling
Total Timea day or more
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe CourseMain Course
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Peanut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Taste and TextureHot & Spicy
- 2 scotch bonnet (habañero) peppers
- 1 small leek or 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce [114g]) jar pimentos
- 5 cloves garlic
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup (59 mL) + 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (12-ounce [431g]) package extra-firm tofu
- 1 potato, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4cm) cubes
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4cm) cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch (4cm) cubes
- 12 small whole mushrooms
- 6 bamboo skewers
- 3-4 cups (570-760 g) cooked brown rice, for serving
To make the Jamaican Jerk Sauce: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal "S" blade, purée all of the sauce ingredients. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
To make the Jamaican Jerk Kabobs: Unwrap the package of tofu and place it on a plate lined with paper towels to drain for 1 hour.
Slice the tofu into 1 1/2-inch (4-cm) cubes.
Using clean hands, alternate cubes of the tofu, potato, bell pepper, and onion, as well as the whole mushrooms, onto the 6 skewers.
Place the skewers in a 9 × 13-inch (22.5 × 32.5-cm) casserole dish and cover with all, but 1/4 cup (59 mL) of the Jamaican Jerk Sauce. Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 8 hours or overnight.
Set the oven to broil.
Broil the Jamaican Jerk Kabobs in the casserole dish for 15 minutes, turning and brushing the Kabobs with the remaining 1/4 cup (59 mL) Jamaican Jerk Sauce after 7 minutes. Remove from the oven. Serve individually plated over the brown rice.
These kabobs are also delicious grilled.
Feel free to mix up the veggies with whatever you have available--pineapple would also be nice!
2013 Jo A. Kaucher