Orange and Saffron Yogurt Cake
Preparation Time10 min
Cooking Time40 min
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (275 g) plain whole yogurt
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon (225 g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons saffron strands
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) oil
- Finely-grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Finely-grated zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (150 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Butter the inside of a 9 x 5 x 3-in (23 x 12.5 x 7.5-cm) loaf pan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, sugar, saffron, and eggs. Add the oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla bean seeds. Add the flour and baking powder, whisking until just combined. Do not over mix.
Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. The cake will be dark golden on top and should pull away just a bit from the sides of the pan. If the crust begins to darken too much, cover the cake with a piece of aluminum foil. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack, remove the pan, and cool completely.
Copyright 2017 Hari Nayak