Lemon Yogurt Cake
Very similar to a pound cake, but with less butter, this is a cake with substance. Use lemon yogurt if you have it.
Serves6 to 8
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Dietary ConsiderationHalal, Kosher, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegetarian
Taste and TextureSweet, Tangy
Type of DishCake, Dessert
- Preheat oven to 350°F (l80°C)
- 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan, lightly oiled
- 1 cup butter, softened 250 mL
- 1 cup granulated sugar 250 mL
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest 15 mL
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5 mL
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour 625 mL
- 1 tsp baking powder 5 mL
- 1 tsp baking soda 5 mL
- ½ tsp salt 2 mL
- 1 cup Lemon Yogurt or plain yogurt 250 mL
- ¾ cup confectioner’s (icing) sugar 175 mL
- ½ cups freshly squeezed lemon juice 125 mL
- 3 tbsp plain yogurt 45 mL
In a bowl, using a wooden spoon, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Stir in lemon zest and vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture alternately with lemon yogurt, making three additions of flour mixture and two of yogurt, mixing well after each addition.
Scrape batter into prepared springform pan and bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into middle of cake. Let cake cool in pan for 5 minutes.
Lemon Icing: Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine sugar and lemon juice and mix well. Add yogurt. Remove ring from the pan and invert cake onto a serving plate. Spoon lemon icing over warm cake, allowing syrup to soak into the top and down the sides of the cake.
2010 Pat Crocker