Ultimate Keto Breakfast Hash
Published by Page Street Publishing Co.
Have you ever fantasized about breakfast the night before or while you sleep? Now I know I am not alone on this one. So, if you’ve ever had a breakfast fantasy, you were probably dreaming about this hash. Because let me tell you, this is one you just can’t go wrong with. The cauliflower soaks up all the flavor of the kielbasa sausage while giving you the body and texture we have all come to love from a potato-based hash.
- 6 ounces (170 g) no-sugar-added kielbasa sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon (14 g) butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) avocado
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) cubes
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) cubes
- 4 ounces (113 g) pearl onions, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) florets
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (3 g) finely chopped fresh chives, to garnish
- 4 eggs (optional)
If you are adding eggs, preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7).
Heat a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat and brown the kielbasa sausage, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the sausage from the pan and set it aside.
Lower the heat to medium. Add the butter and avocado oil to the pan along with the bell peppers, onions, garlic and cauliflower florets. Sauté the vegetables for 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and continue to cook the vegetables for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender.
Return the sausage to the pan and stir to combine with the cauliflower mixture. If you aren’t adding eggs, garnish with chives and serve.
If you are adding eggs, use a spoon to create four wells. Crack an egg into each well. Sprinkle the chives and a couple pinches of salt and pepper on top and transfer the pan to the oven. Bake until the eggs set and the yolks reach your desired consistency, about 7 minutes. Serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from One-Pot Keto Cooking by Charlotte Smythe, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020.