Dietary ConsiderationHalal, Kosher, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegetarian
Taste and TextureCrisp, Crunchy
- 1 cup (250 mL) yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 9-inch (2/5 L) square baking pan, greased and lined with parchment paper
- Baking sheet
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°F).
1 In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together egg, milk and oil. Add to the cornmeal mixture and stir just until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Turn cooled cornbread out of pan and cut into 1-inch (2/5 cm) squares. Transfer to baking sheet and bake until dried and crispy, about 20 minutes. Let cool on sheet on a wire rack and use within 3 hours.
Read NextDate Nut Loaf from Van de Kamps
2008 Carla Snyder and Meredith Deeds