This tangy brazilian herb sauce is a traditional accompaniment to mixed grilled meats—churrasco—but it’s also terrific with fish, vegetables, and potatoes.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Dietary Considerationdiabetic, egg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, low carb, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturegarlicky, herby, hot & spicy, savory, tangy
Type of Dishsauces
- 1 cup pure olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced (don’t remove the seeds)
- 1½ tablespoons red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley (leaves from about 1 bunch)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 medium-size shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a small skillet, heat the oil with the garlic, chile, and red pepper flakes just until warm, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
Add the parsley, oregano, cilantro, shallot, and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
2005 Grace Parisi