Steak Kebabs with Chinese Garlic Sauce
Published by Page Street Publishing Co.
Man has been skewering meat for centuries. Kebabs can be whatever you’d like them to be, but they typically consist of some sort of protein on a wooden stick cooked over fire. Kebabs can be dry rubbed, marinated or sauced. The world is your oyster when it comes to kebabs.
- 1 (1-pound) [455-g] rib eye
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 6 ounces (170 to 225 g) cherry tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chinese Garlic Sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (26 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) molasses
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Chinese rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon gochujang
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely grated (use a Microplane)
- Have ready 5 or 6 skewers. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 minutes prior to grilling. This will slow the char and burning of the wood.
Big Green Egg setup:
Fill your firebox with natural lump charcoal and prepare your Big Green Egg for direct grilling. The target grilling temperature is about 425°F (220°C) as indicated on your dome thermometer. Both the bottom vent and daisy wheel should be open about 50 percent, but small adjustments might be required. You want to create a mature fire with no flame. If you allow your Big Green Egg to burn at its target temperature, in this case 425°F (220°C), for at least 10 minutes, all the lit coals should be glowing orange without a flame—this is your indication that you have built a mature fire.
Cut the rib eye, onion and bell pepper into cubes. Thread the steak, onion and pepper cubes and the tomatoes onto skewers. Brush the kebabs with extra virgin olive oil and season all sides with salt and black pepper. Set aside until ready to grill.
Prepare the Chinese garlic sauce:
In a small bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients and whisk thoroughly. Set aside until ready to grill.
Place the kebabs in the middle of the hot grill. Cook, rotating every 2 minutes. Once the kebabs have been grilled all the way around, brush with the Chinese garlic sauce and repeat, grilling on each side until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 135°F (57°C).