Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage With Potatoes
3-Step Slow Cooker Cookbook
Published by Page Street Publishing Co.
A traditional St. Patrick’s Day feast, corned beef is perfect for dinner, and the leftovers make delicious sandwiches. Every year, someone asks me for a recipe, so it makes sense to include it here. A delicious Irish dinner is right around the corner! Why wait until March to feast on this tasty and easy-to-make meal?
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/2 head cabbage, cut into 1-inch (2.5-cm) wedges
- 1 1/2 pound (681 g) small potatoes, halved
- 3 pounds (1.4 kg) corned beef brisket—you can trim some of the fat off, but leave some for flavor
- 1 packet or 1 tbsp (2 g) pickling spice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Add the celery, carrots, onion, cabbage and potatoes to your 6-quart (6-L) slow cooker. Lay the brisket, fat-side up, on top. Sprinkle the pickling spice and thyme over the meat and vegetables. Add water until the brisket is almost completely covered. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
Remove the meat and vegetables from the water, slice the meat and serve.
Read NextTucson Carne Seca
Reprinted with permission from 3-Step Slow Cooker by Drew Maresco, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019. Photo credit: Jennifer Blume