General Tso's Chicken
Your whole family is going to love this slow cooker General Tso's chicken.
Published by Page Street Publishing Co.
This is one of my husband’s favorite dishes that he orders every time we get takeout. Pan-frying the chicken on the stove beforehand adds an extra layer of crispiness we all love. The juicy bite-sized pieces are coated in a sweet, spicy and tangy sauce that is so good you can’t help but wander back for seconds.
Slow Cooker Time LOW4 hr
- 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp (104 g) cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 pound (683 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) cooking oil
- 1 cup (118 ml) water
- 4 tablespoons (84 g) honey
- 2 tablespoons (32 g) hoisin sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (22 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (32 g) ketchup or tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 teaspoons to 4 teaspoons (48-64 g) red chili garlic paste, to taste
- 4 -5 dried red chilies, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chilled water
- Cooked rice, for serving
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
In a large zip-top bag, toss together ¾ cup (95 g) cornstarch and black pepper. Next add the chicken to the bag, and give it a little shake until well coated.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken, about 2 to 3 minutes on both sides, then transfer to the slow cooker.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, water, honey, hoisin sauce, vinegar, ketchup, fish sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and chili paste and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for about 3 to 4 hours.
About 30 minutes prior to serving, toss in the dried chilies, then whisk together the remaining cornstarch with water in a small bowl and stir into the slow cooker. Turn heat to high and allow the sauce to cook and thicken up for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Serve with cooked rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
Read NextQuick and Easy Microwave Sushi Rice
Reprinted with permission from The Asian Slow Cooker by Kelly Kok, Page Street Publishing Co. 2016.