47 Classic Julia Child Recipes
Recreate some of Julia Child's recipes with these easy-to-follow recipes.
Any hobby chef or home cook has likely tried out a Julia Child recipe. Her tasty and often relatively easy recipes allow home cooks to explore the more complicated cuisine of France. We have nearly 50 classic Julia Child recipes here at Cookstr and all of them are listed below. Whether you are a brand-new enthusiast or faithful Julia Child fan, the recipes below are sure to sate your palate for a Julia-inspired meal. Our recipes are organized below by dinners, desserts, soups and stews, appetizer recipes and more. Keep scrolling and you’re sure to find a Julia Child recipe to suit your needs.
Before the days of celebrity chefs, the Food Network, and cooking shows, there was one cooking-savvy household name that everyone knew: Julia Child. Julia Child gained acclaim and fame in the US when she brought French recipes and cuisine to American home kitchens in the 1950s with her most famous cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. After that, she became a household name starring in several television programs. Her impact on American cooking culture and housewives in the 1960s was impressive. Her unedited show allowed viewers an intimate look into her cooking process, her mistakes and blunders ultimately endearing her to households across America. Julia made French cooking fun and accessible.
Classic Entrée Recipes
Check out these classic French entrees from Julia Child! These yummy options make a strong and impressive main course for your meal. Consider trying one of these recipes out for your next dinner party and pairing them with one of the appetizers and desserts below.
- Sauteed Calf's Liver: Try out this surprisingly quick and classic Julia Child recipe for liver. You might be surprised by how much you like it.
- Braised Rice Risotto: This risotto is a great main course meal for vegetarians or it can be paired with another recipe to add some meat to the meal.
- Fresh Mussels Steamed Open in Wine and Flavorings: Making mussels is sure to impress dinner guests.
- Mussels Marinated in Oil and Herbs: Seafood is an obvious choice for a French meal! These mussels have a unique spice palate.
- Roast Duck with Orange Sauce: Roast duck is actually relatively easy to make and this vintage take holds up!
- Sautéed Ham Slices - Cream and Madiera Sauce: This sliced ham recipe makes a decadent holiday meal.
Julia Child Chicken Recipes
Chicken recipes can be insanely simple or they can be decadent. Julia Child was well known for taking this classic American ingredient and transforming it into something delicious. The Julia Child chicken recipes below are some of her more famous options.
- Chicken Salad Recipe: Chicken salad is a healthy, yummy lunch option. Make this classic Julia Child recipe on Monday night and eat it all week.
- Old-Fashion Chicken Fricassee: A fricassee is halfway between a stew and a sautee that is very common in French cuisine.
- Broiled Butterflied Chicken: Butterflied chicken is a great way to give your dish presentation some extra French pizazz.
- Roast Chicken: Learning how to roast a chicken is a must-know for aspiring chefs! Why not learn from the best?
- Unmolded Chicken Liver Custards: These Individual little entrees taste great paired with a rich bearnaise sauce.
- Perfectly Roasted Chicken: Learn how to roast restaurant-ready chicken with this simple recipe and tutorial.
- Chicken Breasts Sauteed in Butter: This classic, crispy chicken recipe calls for clarified butter.
- Brown Chicken Stock: Skip off-the-shelf options and learn how to make your own chicken stock.
Dessert Recipes from Julia Child
No list of recipes from this famed chef and TV personality would be complete without decadent desserts. These dessert options are sure to make your mouth water. We’re sure of it.
- Cherry Flan Recipe: Make a fruity flan with this classic dessert idea.
- Genoise Cake: This cake made from scratch only uses 6 ingredients.
- Light Custard Recipe: This simple custard recipe is ideal for topping ice cream or served all on its own.
- Apple Charlotte: This apple puree recipe allows you to easily add a taste of fall to your dining.
- Frozen Orange Mousse: This refreshing dessert recipe allows you to sate your guests' sweet tooth without providing anything too rich or filling.
Clever Crepe Recipes
While most of the well-known classic Julia Child recipes center around dinner and desserts, these yummy breakfast options cannot be ignored. Consider making them for brunch one afternoon.
- Mound of French Pancakes Filled with Cream Cheese, Spinach, and Mushrooms: This hearty crepe dish shows you how to make the perfect, hearty breakfast.
- Julia Child's Crepes: A classic and simple crepe recipe is ideal for anyone looking to try out French cuisine. This classic recipe is a musty-try.
Julia Child Appetizer Recipes
Throwing a dinner party can be tough, especially when it comes to appetizers. You want to make sure your guests are happy and eager to eat. Appetizers set the stage for that! These classic Julia Child recipes guarantee happy guests!
- Braised Rice and Onions: Combine this recipe with roasted chicken or another meat for a well-rounded meal.
- Chicken Liver Mousse: Keep this tasty appetizer in a jar for hors d'oeuvres.
- Homemade Mashed Potatoes: Every family has their preferred mashed potatoes recipe, but we suggest you branch out with this recipe that goes the extra mile.
- Scalloped Potatoes with Onions, Tomatoes, Anchovies, Herbs, and Garlic: Don't let the inclusion of anchovies scare you off. This recipe is actually really yummy.
- Gratin of Shredded Potatoes with Ham, Eggs, and Onions: This appetizer or side dish can make a meal all on its own, too.
- Spinach Souffle: While souffle are tough to master, this spinach variation is worth the extra effort.
- Blanched Chopped Spinach: Top some cheese and crackers with the final puree or add it to recipe favorite for some extra greens.
- Scalloped Gratineed with Wine, Garlic, and Herbs: These scallops make an excellent entree if you're willing to spend the money.
- Stewed Mushrooms: Learn how to stew mushrooms with this simple tutorial and top them with a yummy sauce for a tasty appetizer or side dish.
- Brown Braised Onions: Combine these tasty onions with a few more veggies for a simple side dish or appetizer.
- Sauteed Mushrooms: Mushrooms make the perfect finger food. Serve these sauteed mushrooms with some blue cheese crumbles and sausage for an easy app.
- Whole Braised Chestnuts: Serve these chestnuts at Christmas sprinkled with some parsley.
- Peas Braised with Lettuce and Onions: These tasty flavor palates ensure that everyone gets their veggie servings at dinner.
Soups and Stew Recipes
If you’re looking to dip your toe in French cuisine with Julia Child recipes, one of the best ways is to try out cooking a soup or stew. These recipes can make a tasty appetizer or side dish for a dinner party. Plus, the heartier ones can be a dinner all their own. Just be sure to pair them with a baguette like Julia would!
- Cream of Mushroom Soup: It can be tempting to just eat cream of mushroom out of the can, but this homemade version is so much better.
- Leek or Onion and Potato Soup: This tasty potato soup recipe comes with several variations.
- Onion Soup: This classic Julia Child soup recipe uses white wine and cognac, giving it a unique flavor palate.
- Veal Stew with Onions and Mushrooms: Also known as blanquette de veau, this traditional French recipe is not as difficult to make as it is to pronounce.
- Chicken Soup with Vegetables: A simple and homemade chicken soup recipe should be on everyone's list of go-to recipes.
- Beef Stew in Red Wine with Bacon, Onions, and Mushrooms: Learn how to make your very own boeuf bourguignon.
Julia Child’s Favorite Sauces
One of the tastiest features for French cuisine is the endless supply of decadent and creamy sauces added to meals. Sauces like hollandaise and béchamel easily make once-boring meals, absolutely decadent and impressive. Try out the classic Julia Child sauce recipes below.
- Bechamel Sauce: This simple and must-have recipe for bechamel sauce yields two cups.
- Hollandaise Sauce: This happy hollandaise sauce is perfect for eggs benedict.
- Hollandaise Sauce Variation: If the hollandaise sauce above doesn't work for you, check out this extensive hollandaise how-to.
- Flour-Based Brown Sauce: Also known as brown roux! This sauce is ideal for meats in need of a savory something else.
- Mayonaise Recipe: Making your own mayonnaise from scratch may sound tedious, but the results are so tasty it is worth the extra time.
- Bearnaise Sauce: Learning how to make Bearnaise is a staple of French cooking. Julia's classic recipe shows you how to make it in under 30 minutes.
Learn more about Julia Child in this mini bio!
Who was the first celebrity chef that you ever followed?
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.