- Course: Hot Appetizer
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Inexpensive
- Favorited: 75 Times
These crisp morsels make a lovely vegetarian party snack.
- 3 large zucchini
- 1¾ cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- Gated zest of ½ lemon
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Deep-frying thermometer
1. Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C). Wash and dry the zucchini. Cut them into sticks about 3 × ½ in (7.5cm × 13mm).
2. Mix the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, and lemon zest well in a shallow bowl. Beat the eggs in a second bowl. Spread the flour in a third bowl and season.
3. In batches, coat the zucchini in the flour, then the egg, and then the bread crumbs. Transfer to a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
4. Half-fill a deep frying pan with oil and heat over high heat to 350°F (170°C). In batches, add the zucchini and cook about 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while frying the remaining zucchini. Serve hot.
Prepare ahead: The coated zucchini can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 hours before frying.
© 2008 Dorling Kindersley
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving and 4 cups added oil for frying.