Some people like to add cinnamon to this particular ejjeh, a summertime favorite when zucchini are in season.
- 3 zucchini or yellow squash, coarsely grated (shredding disc of food processor may be used)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 onions, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
1. To extract water from the zucchini, place it in a colander and press it down against the perforated surface.
2. Combine the zucchini, eggs, onions, allspice, salt, and cinnamon, if desired, in a medium mixing bowl. Mix well.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil sizzles upon contact with a droplet of water, drop 1 tablespoon of the egg batter into the pan. Flatten the mound of batter slightly with the back of a spoon. Continue adding as many mounds of the batter as the skillet will allow. Fry for 2 minutes, or until golden, turning once. Drain the fritters on paper towels. Repeat this process with the remaining batter, and if necessary, add more oil.
This recipe serves 6.