- Course: Main Course, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 2 Hours
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 18 Times
Select a mixture of domestic and wild mushrooms for these woodsy crêpes. They make a delicious partner to venison steaks, leg of lamb, grilled salmon or albacore, or duck breast, or they can be served on their own for a vegetarian feast.
- Eight 6- to 7-inch savory crêpes or buckwheat galettes or blue cornmeal crepes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or 2 tablespoons porcini oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 shallots or green onions (include half the green onion tops), chopped
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms: cultivated whites, shiitakes, oysters, portobellos, and morels, or 14 ounces cultivated white mushrooms and 1 ounce assorted dried mushrooms, soaked in warm water to cover for 15 minutes, all mushrooms chopped
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup (6 ounces) ricotta cheese or fresh white goat cheese or light cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup (2 ounces) shredded Gruyere or Jarlsberg cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, or ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Prepare the crêpes.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sauté the shallots or onions for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and quickly heat through, about 1 minute. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl and let cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and mix in the ricotta, goat, or cream cheese, Gruyère cheese, garlic, tarragon, salt and pepper to taste, and sautéed vegetables. Spoon ½ cup of filling in a ribbon down the center of each crêpe, and roll up to enclose. Arrange in a greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish, brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until heated through. Serve at once.
© 1998 Lou Seibert Pappas
Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving, but does not include savory crÃªpes or buckwheat galettes or blue cornmeal crepes. For nutritional information on savory crÃªpes or buckwheat galettes or blue cornmeal crepes, please follow the links above.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox