White Fish Chowder
Soak salt cod in cold water for 12 hours, changing the water two or three times. Drain and soak in milk to cover for another 6 hours.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursehot appetizer, main course
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecreamy, rich
Type of Dishchowder, fish soup, hot soup, soup
- 1 pound salt cod, soaked (see notes)
- 1 pound fresh cod fillet, skin removed
- 1 pound halibut fillet, skin removed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ pound fresh pork fat back
- 2 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cut all of the fish into 1½-inch cubes. Cover and refrigerate.
In a soup kettle, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the heavy cream, milk, and thyme and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, dice the fat back and cook over moderate heat until rendered golden brown. Drain on paper towels and set aside on a warm part of the stove. Add the potatoes to the chowder and simmer until the potatoes are almost fork-tender. Add the fish and simmer for about 10 minutes, until just cooked through. Season to taste with pepper.
Serve the rendered pork on the side and let each guest sprinkle some over the chowder.