From time to time, you will find yourself in need of a great, basic vanilla cupcake recipe. Look no further: this recipe is everything a white cupcake should be. It’s perfect for everything from children’s birthday parties to weddings.
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2 mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) baking soda
- Pinch salt
- ¾ cup (175 mL) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp (5 mL) almond extract
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) buttermilk
- Frosting (see Frosting suggestions, below)
- Chocolate Glaze
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- Cookies and Cream Buttercream
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Buttercream
- Muffin pan, lined with paper liners
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
1. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until well combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in almond extract. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of buttermilk, beating until smooth.
3. Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.
Variation: Substitute vanilla for the almond extract.
Nutritional information is based on a serving size of 1 cupcake and does not include nutritional information for frostings. For nutritional information on frostings, please follow the links above.