- Course: Appetizer, Side Dish
- Total Time: Under 15 Minutes
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 38 Times
This salad is as refreshing as a not-too-hot summer day and evokes images of the same with its mixture of herbs and the light citrus dressing. The cheese adds the salt component and dense texture to the otherwise ethereal salad.
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups watermelon, (about a 6-pound piece) preferably seedless, cut into ¾-inch chunks (or use pre-cut watermelon)
- 4 ounces ricotta salata cheese, cut into ¼-inch dice (or use feta or myzithra cheese)
- ¼ cup julienned fresh mint plus extra mint sprigs
- ¼ cup julienned fresh basil
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, zest, and salt. Add the oil slowly and whisk until incorporated. Set aside. (You can make the dressing up to 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.)
Drain the pre-cut watermelon, if using.
To assemble: Toss the watermelon with the cheese. Add the dressing and herbs. Taste and depending on the saltiness of the cheese, add salt a little at a time to bring out the full flavors of the salad. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve right away.
© 2007 Laura Werlin
Nutritional information includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
Discover Related Recipes
Sign up for
The Cookstr Weekly
Free handpicked cookbook recipes delivered straight to your inbox