Water Chestnuts, Sugar Snap Peas, and Shiitakes
Crunchy, salty, and sweet, this quick stir-fry takes advantage of fresh vegetables by treating them simply. A hint of ginger and a splash of soy sauce are all you need.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionFormal Dinner Party
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationside dish
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecrunchy, salty, sweet, umami
Type of Dishvegetable
- 3 tablespoons grape seed, corn, or other neutral oil
- 6 fresh small shiitake mushrooms, trimmed
- 4 wood ear mushrooms, soaked in water for ½ hour, then drained and chopped.
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- ½ cup peeled and sliced fresh water chestnuts
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, strings removed and ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, ginger, and 1 tablespoon water and stir-fry until browned and softened, about 2 minutes. Then add another tablespoon oil, the water chestnuts, and1 tablespoon water and stir-fry for another minute. Add the remaining tablespoon oil, the sugar snap peas, and 1 tablespoon water and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
Season with the soy sauce and salt to taste and serve.
2007 Jean-Georges Vongerichten