- Course: Appetizer
- Skill Level: Easy
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 9 Times
We’ve taken the flavors of pesto and combined them in a new treat for basil lovers.
- 6 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (1 large bunch)
- ½ cup best-quality olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup pine nuts (pignoli)
- 4 ounces prosciutto, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Toss the spinach and basil together in a large salad bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and pine nuts and sauté until the nuts begin to brown slightly. Stir in the prosciutto and cook 1 minute more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Toss the spinach and basil with the warm dressing and sprinkle the salad with the Parmesan. Serve immediately and pass the peppermill.
© 1984, 1985 Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving.