- Course: Appetizer, Main Course
- Skill Level: Moderate
- Cost: Moderate
- Favorited: 5 Times
Here is a delicious, quick first-course or luncheon salad for those times when you can’t start a meal from scratch. It combines seafood with vegetables and offers a good combination of textures and colors.
Obviously, I prefer to use fresh ingredients 99 percent of the time, but this salad is a departure in that it uses canned artichoke hearts and white beans. There are some good products on the market, so choose the best quality you can find.
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons, if needed
- 12 medium or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 canned artichoke hearts, cut in eighths
- 2 cups drained canned cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- About ½ cup Sherry Vinaigrette
- 4 cups loosely packed mesclun greens
- (about ½ pound), or other salad greens
In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over high heat. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and sear 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and reserve.
In the same pan, heat the remaining oil until shimmering, adding more, if needed. Sauté the artichoke hearts until light golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the beans and thyme and toss to heat through. Add 6 tablespoons of the sherry vinaigrette and the shrimp and toss to heat through. Remove the pan from the heat.
Toss the mesclun with the remaining sherry vinaigrette (or just enough to coat lightly).
To serve, divide the mesclun among 4 plates or shallow bowls and place a few spoonfuls of the artichoke-shrimp mixture in the center of the greens.
For sherry vinaigrette, substitute 4 tablespoons Lobster Vinaigrette combined with 2 tablespoons sherry vinaigrette.
Order of preparation:
• Prepare the Sherry Vinaigrette
• Sauté the shrimp and the artichokes.
• Toss the greens with the vinaigrette.
• The Sherry Vinaigrette can be refrigerated up to 3 weeks; whisk to recombine before using.
© 1996 Debra Ponzek and Joan Schwartz
Nutritional information is based on 1/8 teaspoon added salt per serving, but does not include Sherry Vinaigrette. For nutritional information on Sherry Vinaigrette, please follow the link above.